1/31/2009

Review #31: Star Wars: Invincible

Well, we made it. 31 Star Wars book reviews. I wasn't sure I could pull it off, but I made it.

I am a Star Wars fan, so please don't let this review fool you. I am also a fan of well written novels, especially those that provide the finale to a nine book series. Legacy of the Force was just that, a nine book series chronicling the fall of Jacen Solo from Jedi Knight and Master to Sith Lord, where he took on the name Darth Caedus.

Troy Denning was handed the proverbial pen for the last book in the series, Invincible. The first thing I noticed was that Invincible was less than 300 pages. I'm okay with short novels, but when it is the last novel in a series... well, let's just say I was hoping for a little more bang for my buck.

The novel consists of two big lightsaber fights, a car chase, and one major character death. Really, honestly, after reading this book I felt like Troy Denning was basically giving Star Wars fans the middle finger. Some of the stuff in this book, like the big fight between Jacen and Jaina, and then the fact that former Imperial Admiral Daala is appointed Chief of State, are so unbelieveable, even for Star Wars, that the reader just sits back and contemplates lighting the book on fire.

I personally was so disappointed by this book that I took it upon myself to write a 20+ page treatment to a novel I would've written to end the series. Maybe one day I'll put it up here on the blog.

I like Troy Denning, I consider him on the best Star Wars authors. But this book really didn't fit with his other work.

Re-readability: 6.9
Final Grade: C-

No comments:

Post a Comment